1. Women Produce Music launch !N_KoLAB
CMU reported that Women Produce Music have launched a new project, !N_KoLAB, which will bring female producers together in different settings.
2. Kate Reilly, director of people and organisational development at PPL, talks diversity in music business recruitment
Kate Reilly told Music Week that PPL’s ‘male-to-female split for its 342 employees in 2017 was 56% and 44% respectively, with a mean gender pay gap of 6.6%.’
3. Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee reports calls for music industry to focus on supporting emerging talent
Parliamentary committee Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) have released a report summarising the findings of a live music inquiry and are calling for a number of steps to safeguard the music industry including more support for emerging talent. It identified business rates, discrimination against urban acts and Viagogo as problem areas.
4. Hospitality sector warns of impact of new PPL Specially Featured Entertainment (SFE) tariff
The Specially Featured Entertainment (SFE) tariff will come into effect on 1 July and ‘will see venues with an average 130% increase’ said UKHospitality chief executive Kate Nicholls.
5. MPs advise music fans not to buy tickets from Viagogo
Music Business Worldwide reported that MPs have advised music fans not to buy tickets from seconary ticketing platform Viagogo. The report by DCMS stated: ‘Viagogo has yet to prove itself a trustworthy operator given its history of resisting compliance, court orders and parliamentary scrutiny…’